Other Finding Aid :For location information, refer to the Denver Public Library Catalog.
Donor and date of donation for these materials is unknown. This project was partially funded by a State Historical Fund grant award from History Colorado, the Colorado Historical Society
The collection is open for research. Floor plans of privately owned buildings may not be copied without the written consent of the building owner.
Literary and copyrights - as appropriate - have been assigned to the Denver Public Library.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
[Identification of item], Theodore Boal Architectural Records, WH1524, Western History Collection, The Denver Public Library.
Oversize: 1 OVFF
Roger L. Dudley
BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE :
Theodore Davis Boal was born in Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa on June 14, 1867 to George Jack Boal (1835-1895) and Malvina Amanda Buttles (1835-1927). The family lived in Iowa City, but occasionally traveled to Boalsburg, Centre County, in central Pennsylvania where Theodore's father was born.
Theodore Boal spent much of his early childhood with his aunt and uncle, Theodore M. Davis and Annie Buttles Davis in Newport, Rhode Island and in New York City.
In 1880 Theodore Boal lived with his parents in Johnson County, Iowa on College Street where his father practiced law. In 1889, Theodore received a degree in architecture from Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa and followed his father to Denver, Colorado. Theodore Boal was listed in the 1890 Denver City Directory as Hughes & Boal "decorative architects" with offices at 630 16th Street.
Boal's partnership with Mark T. Hughes was brief. The 1891 Denver City Directory listed Lee & Boal as architects with offices at 16th and Arapahoe in the Jacobson Block. Boal and C. Herbert Lee remained partners for only three years.
In 1894, Boal traveled to France to study architecture at École de Beaux-Arts in Paris. While in France he met Mathilde Dolorès Denis de Lagarde (1871-1952). They married in Paris on July 15, 1894.
Boal returned to Denver in 1898, and leased an office in the Equitable Building, at 17th and Stout Streets. Here he designed the residence of John Albert Ferguson to sit at the northeast corner of 7th Avenue and Grant Street. The house was completed in 1899 and occupied by the Fergusons until 1918. In 1909, after Boal had left Denver, Ferguson contracted the architectural firm Fisher and Fisher to expand the house to what a 1948 newspaper article described as “an unrivaled grandeur that survives to this day.” A dozen years later it was demolished to make way for an apartment building.
Between 1899 and 1902, Boal designed a stately 24,000-square-foot Tudor country home, initially called Cleveholm Manor, now the Redstone Castle, in Colorado's Crystal River Valley. John Cleveland Osgood commissioned the 42-room mansion for his 4,200-acre estate. Here he entertained President Theodore Roosevelt, Buffalo Bill Cody, and others in the collection of buildings, which cost $2.5 million to build.
In 1900, Boal and his wife, resided at 1655 Sherman in Denver with Theodore’s mother and his son Pierre, who had been born in France. Boal formed a partnership with Frederick Louis Harnois. Boal & Harnois had offices at 100 16th Street, and remained in business until 1907.
Boal & Harnois designed two mansions still standing in 2009 in Denver, the Grant-Humphreys Mansion (770 Pennsylvania Street) in 1902, and the Crawford Hill Mansion (969 Sherman Street) completed in 1906.
When the partnership with Harnois was dissolved in 1907, Boal moved to Washington D.C. where he formed a partnership with Ward Brown, which continued until 1929.
During the First World War, Boal served as an aide-de-camp to General Charles M. Clement and later for Major General Charles H. Muir in Pennsylvania's 28th Division. Captain Boal was made a Lieutenant Colonel and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for valor in action during the war.
Boal died August 22, 1938, at his home in Boalsburg, Pennsylvania.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE :
This collection consists of 13 drawings by Theodore D. Boal for the residence of J.(John) A. (Albert) Ferguson. It includes details of the interior of the home, which was constructed in 1889 at 7th and Grant (700 Grant Street) in Denver, Colorado. The residence was enlarged around 1909 and some of the drawings for the addition can be found in the Fisher and Fisher Collection (WH932). The house was razed in 1961 and an eleven-story apartment house was constructed on the land.
SUBJECT ACCESS :
: SUBJECT ACCESS - :